Last update: 26 October 2020
TEDxAmsterdam takes data privacy seriously. This Privacy Statement explains how we collect, share and use Personal Information, and how you can exercise your privacy rights.
Personal Information is carefully processed and secured by us. In our processing, we adhere to the requirements of relevant privacy legislation – such as the General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR). This means, among other things, that we:
- Clearly state the purposes for which we process Personal Information. We aim to do this through our privacy statement.
- Ask for your explicit permission to process your Personal Information in cases where your permission is required.
- Take appropriate security measures to protect your Personal Information and also require this of any parties who process Personal Information on our behalf.
- Respect your rights to request your Personal Information for inspection, or to be corrected or deleted.
Information we collect
When using our Services and this website, we obtain certain information from you. When you visit our website, when you create an account, when you use our Services, or when you contact us, for example, we handle some of your Personal Information.
Amongst other things, we process the following Personal Information from our (prospective) visitors:
- Name and address details;
- Telephone number;
- Billing address;
- E-mail address;
- Payment details;
- Your picture, if you choose to upload it;
- Your other preferences and interests, if you choose to share them with us;
It is always possible to set up your personal preferences and interests in our registration forms, depending on the event for which you register.
In addition, we process the following personal data from visitors on our website(s):
- Website visit and use;
- IP address;
- Duration and time of visit to the website;
- Use of social media.
These data are only used to optimise navigation and to improve our website.
We usually collect and use Personal Information from you where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data-protection interests or your fundamental rights and freedoms.
Depending on the type of Personal Information concerned, we may rely on the following legal basis:
- The performance of an agreement. Where the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract or an agreement.
- A legitimate Interests. Where the processing is necessary for legitimate interests pursued by us or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms which require protection of personal information.
- Your Consent. Where you have given us consent to process your personal information for specified purposes, such as to provide our Service and other items requested by you.
- Comply with the Law. Where the processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation.
We process your Personal Information in connection with our Services and for other business purposes, including to:
- Provide, operate, optimise, and maintain the website.
- Send you events recommendations, communications and other materials about us, in accordance with your preferences.
- Respond to your online inquiries and requests, and to provide you with information and access to resources or Services that you have requested from us.
- Improve our Services, and
- For recruitment purposes, if you have applied for a role with TEDxAmsterdam.
Registration and Login
For certain Services of ours it is possible to create an account or log. We keep any information that you provide to us so that you do not have to enter it every time and we shall contact you with our materials. We keep your data as long as you use our Services.
How We Share Information
We may share and disclose your Personal Information with our Affiliates and to the following third parties for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement:
- Our Licensor: We shall provide your name and email address to TED Conferences LLC so that they can conduct surveys, for instance: a short questionnaire about the event you attended.
- Our service providers: Sometimes, we share your information with our third-party service providers working on our behalf for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. The include companies that we have hired to help us provide and support our Services or assist in protecting and securing our systems and Services.
- Any competent law enforcement body, regulatory body, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (a) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (b) to exercise, establish, or defend our legal rights, or (c) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person.
- Any other third party, with your consent.
Location of Information
Our data centre is located in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
This Privacy Statement does not apply to third-party websites that are connected to our website by means of links. We cannot guarantee that these third parties will handle your Personal Information in a reliable or secure manner. We recommend that you read the Privacy Statement of these websites before using them.
We take appropriate and reasonable technical and organisational measures designed to protect Personal Information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction, considering the risks involved in the processing and the nature of the Personal Information.
If you create an account with us we require a username and password to log in. Members must keep their username and password secure.
We use secure connections (Transport Layer Security / Secure Sockets Layer, abbreviated TLS / SSL) that protect all information between you and our website when you enter Personal Information.
Furthermore, we keep logs of all requests for Personal Information.
We keep Personal Information for longer than we need it. Our retention periods shall vary depending on the type of data involved and in particular:
- Whether we have a legal or contractual need to retain the data.
- Whether the data is necessary to provide our Services.
Access to, and correction and deletion of your data
In certain circumstances, local data protection laws (such as the EU GDPR) may give you rights with respect to personal information if you are located in or are a resident of that country, state, or territory (including if you are located in the EU/EEA). These rights may include one or more of the following:
- To access; correct; update; port; delete; restrict; or object to our processing of your Personal Information.
- To withdraw consent. You may have the right to withdraw consent you have provided to us where we rely solely on your consent to process your personal information. You can always provide your consent to us again at a later time.
- To complain to a data protection authority about the collection and use of Personal Information. For more information, please contact Dutch Data Protection Authority for this.
You can manage your individual account by emailing us at email@example.com.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection law.
We may ask you to verify your identity in order to help us respond efficiently to your request. In any case, we would provide you with a response within one (1) month from the date we received your request.
If you have opted in to our newsletters and no longer want to be contacted by us, you can opt out at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” at the bottom of our communications or contacting us by email.
Change to this Statement:
We may change or update this Privacy Statement at any time and from time to time. The most recent version of it shall be reflected by the version date located at the top of this Privacy Statement.
We encourage you to review this Privacy Statement often to stay informed of changes that may affect you.
NL 1070 AT Amsterdam