ACT II: The World of Tomorrow
As human beings, we like to think about the future. We try to predict it, so that we can adapt accordingly. At the same time, we try to actively change the future in an attempt to create the ‘ideal world’.
Sometimes change is necessary. At other times it is inspired by dreams and innovation. But always, change starts with a simple act. Our upcoming online event is designed to look at the world of tomorrow, and to consider the consequences – both good and bad – of our actions in the now.
In ACT II, The World of Tomorrow, we ask what the world of the 2020s will and should look like. What will make the biggest impact, and who will drive the biggest change? Starting now, how can we act towards a sustainable, equal, and inclusive future?
- Thami Schweichler, director of Makers Unite, will explore both the simplicity and difficulty of initiating change at an individual level. We are often held back by fear, but the answer can be as simple as making one phone call.
- Sophie Kwizera, policy advisor Natural Resources and Just Transition at ActionAid, will talk about sustainability. She will show how green energy initiatives in the West often go at the expense of communities elsewhere, making the solution to the environmental crisis more complex than simply buying a Tesla.
Tickets to the event cost €5,- and can be bought via our Eventbrite page.
The event will run from 20:00 to 22:00 (CET), and will include two talks, two interactive sessions, and a musical performance. The time table will be as follows:
- 20.00 – 20.15 : Welcome and introduction of first speaker
- 20.15 – 20.30: Speaker #1 – Sophie Kwizera
- 20.30 – 20.50: Break out session
- 20.50 – 21.00: Musical intermezzo by Ute Apfelstedt Passionflower & Introduction of second speaker
- 21.00 – 21.15: Speaker #2 Thami Schweichler
- 21.15 – 21.25: Interactive session
- 21.25 – 21.30: Recap
- 21.30 – 21.35: Introduction TEDxAmsterdam Awards programme
- 21.35 – 21.40: Final performance by Ute